Best suited for:
While this program appeals to and has benefits for all levels of staff, there is additional benefit for those who champion change or lead others as part of their roles, such as managers, supervisors, team leads, Project Managers. Though not exclusively for, this program is highly-effective for technically-oriented professionals (i.e. Information Technology, Project Management, Engineering).
What you’ll learn:
Professional staff have deep expertise in their respective areas, solid educational backgrounds, and take pride in the work they do.
They also have demanding projects, varied clients (internal and/or external), fluctuating teams, and typically, little practice rehearsing or debriefing interactions with others in various work situations.
Have their interpersonal communications ever caused you to lose sleep or (gasp) deals, client relationships, credibility, or organizational morale?
We’re betting there is some room for improvement in your staffs’ communication skills but you want the highest-quality training, not fluff . . . and you can tell the difference.
Workshop series, can be segmented for breakout sessions
CommunicationSmarts is a 3-part series of small, intensive workshops for motivated, bright professionals interested in improving their effectiveness and impact through communication.
Part One: PeopleSmarts
Description: Is your organization inadvertently creating distrust, low tolerance for change, or weak performance? Discover the research-based explanations for this common state of affairs, and hear turnaround suggestions that you can use tomorrow, regardless of your job title.
- Uncover why we innately distrust anyone new to our team and discover what can be done to shorten the time it takes to combat this hard-wired reaction
- Receive the “PICTuRe” tool to explain why we behave the way we do
- Learn what dogs can teach us about trust and teams
- Discover what gaps will always exist between organizational layers and what to do about them
- Hear how managing our attention and focus is the new frontier of work productivity
Part Two: The Science of Communication
Description: In this fast-paced session, learn what grabs attention, what our brains tune out and why. Hear how much words matter vs. body language, tone, and facial expression. Discover what else largely affects our messages and what we can do to impact the way messages are received by others.
- Receive Erika’s system for planning for the impact you want to have in every communication – major or minor – rather than leaving it to chance.
- Learn the secret formula for building good habits so that communicating directly and efficiently is easier and less time and energy-consuming in the long-run.
- Finally, decode making amends when communications don’t go the way you wanted them to and how to make this a low-stress, relationship-enhancing activity that becomes part of your natural toolkit.
Part Three: MeetingSmarts
Description: You know you should prepare an agenda and keep some semblance of order during the meeting, but beyond that, what else can you do to run super-productive, highly-effective meetings? Plenty.
- Uncover the powerful psychology of room and seating arrangement and how huge the impact on the outcome of your meeting is.
- Receive a ‘critical attendance checklist’ to help you think through who to bring in to the room and WHY.
- Learn “mindsetting” techniques to prepare your mind for a meeting; this alone will change the productivity of your meetings.
- Discovering how key choices in specific language can shift the tone of a meeting in an instant – to your advantage or disadvantage!
- And finally, you’ll gain tools to manage group dynamics gracefully but confidently
Some clients choose to add on INDIVIDUAL AND/OR SMALL GROUP COACHING SESSIONS for select staff and/or leaders following the CommunicationSmarts program.
Description: This is where the rubber meets the road, and where the investment in the general session really sinks in to your organization. Learning “stickiness” takes hold as your staff works through the ideas and practices applying them with guidance and nudges. Think: accelerated, brain-based, and real-time. Focus of these sessions is: a) laser-beam application of the content learned in the general sessions AND b) extended coaching on the following:
- Strategic meeting preparation
- Meeting facilitation
- Group dynamics and facilitation
- Presentation skills
- Presence (terrific for those in new roles with greater responsibilities)
How to determine whether to arrange individual or group coaching? This becomes clear through a brief conversation about skill priorities and goals and can always be changed as needs and priorities shift.